The Luzern Bridge is a good example of innovative structural engineering using composite design. During the design stage, the designers have made necessary assumptions regarding aspects such as the composite behaviour and support conditions: structural measurements would quantify more accurately the real structural behaviour.
Aim of monitoring:
- Develop an accurate model (global and local) of the bridge to help with management over its life cycle
- Evaluate the extent of composite action between the concrete slab and steel girder
- Quantify the additional stiffness due to friction between the slab and the girder
- Determine accurately the load distribution at each abutment
- Supply necessary modelling information for eventual dynamic analysis.
|TYPE OF SENSORS
|2008 – 2009